[REUSE] Custom exceptions

Max Mehl max.mehl at fsfe.org
Wed Nov 24 08:31:36 UTC 2021

Hi Chris,

Thanks for asking this question on the list.

~ Nico Rikken [2021-11-23 09:24 +0100]:
> I'm not sure, but I assume REUSE doesn't support exceptions to keep the
> code simple and also to align with SPDX principle where specifications
> are done on the license level.

As you may have seen, we rely a lot on SPDX when it comes to defining
licenses, exceptions, and the possibilities to customise. Therefore, I'd
encourage you to bring this to "upstream".

Coincidentally there already is an issue which should match your
request: https://github.com/spdx/spdx-spec/issues/153

> I suggest you to do the same for a long-term fix that benefits others.
> And for the short-term fix you can define a custom license.

Ack, so these would be your options in my view, from best to worst:

1. Get SPDX spec to support custom exceptions (REUSE will usually follow
   SPDX specification updates)
2. Get SPDX to include your exception to their list (REUSE will update
   the license list regularly)
3. Create your own license and include it with LicenseRef-foobar

Best,
Max

--
Max Mehl - Programme Manager - Free Software Foundation Europe
Contact and information: https://fsfe.org/about/mehl | @mxmehl