Constructive measures to help people communicate freely

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Mon Mar 26 08:09:57 UTC 2018

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 08:14:23AM +0200, Andreas Nilsson wrote:

> for instant messaging with close friends, so speaking of IM what tools
> are there for this kind of communication? I didn't see you bring
> anything up about that.

IRC is still active, although not mobile-friendly.
On the rise is Matrix (matrix.org) which works great on mobile too
(note that matrix can also bridge to IRC)

A phonebook-based one is Kontalk (GPL).

> There is also conference communication and phones, also important topic
> to bring up I think.

I found Jitsi Meet effective: https://meet.jit.si
Note: Matrix can integrate it on a channel.

> I for example do not have a mobile phone, but I do have an IP based
> phone and I am not particularly fond of calling without the option to
> encrypt the dialog.

Had you tried Tox, for secure communications ?
https://tox.chat/

--strk;