Mozilla: "We’re taking a break from Facebook"

Theo Schmidt sus2006 at bluewin.ch
Wed Apr 4 08:56:40 UTC 2018

Am 23.03.2018 um 17:48 schrieb Florian Snow:
> On a sidenote, I think Facebook is a symptom of a privacy issue we as a
> society have, but one that is currently starting to fail.  Not because
> people realized it tracks them, but because they are choosing to be
> tracked by someone else.  A lot of young people do not use Facebook
> anymore, they use Snapchat and the likes and that is why Facebook had to
> buy Whatsapp - to stay relevant.

But Whatsapp belongs to Facebook as well! As does also Instagram.

> Regarding your implied question of whether the FSFE should have a
> Facebook account, my answer is still yes, under certain conditions.
> First of all, the FSFE is an organization, not a person (and no,
> corporations are also not people!), so being tracked has completely
> different implications. ...

I think we are missing the point here. It is not only whether FB is free
software or not, how well it tracks users or even only about FB.

The point is, it is about world supremacy or even domination! Maybe even
the end of democracy as we know it! Firms like FB, G, A, etc. are taking
over the world and while they may come and go, there is a real danger
for mankind when one or more of these firms control not only media or
money, but also physical things like automobiles, weapons and resources.

Therefore we should strive to use only public or at least quasi-public
resources like IP, HTML, and email, or if unavoidable, avoid private
market-leaders at all costs. And the cost (of not using* FB (still the
market leader in "social media") for FSFE to me would seem small, but I
don't know.

Theo Schmidt

*and to use is to support, as the primary "currency" is not money here.