The 2% discussion - "Free Software" or "Open Source Software"

Adonay Felipe Nogueira adfeno at hyperbola.info
Thu Nov 16 13:41:15 UTC 2017

Addendum: Both the free/libre software movement and the open source
development model generally produce and work in the same projects. The
differences are in ideology and this can also result in discussions for
which the decisions affect the resulting product --- which might have
some side-effects of people leaving the project or even forking it so as
to make one related to their values.

As is already present in the reference I made to Stallman's talk, some
of the differences in the ideology of those two groups are visible in
the choice of license type, presence (or absense) of license enforcement
(and how it's made) and how they behave when noticing derivatives that
implement digital handcuffs or non-free parts when these adaptations use
their project's product/result (which is assumed to be free/libre).