The 2% discussion - "Free Software" or "Open Source Software"

Adonay Felipe Nogueira adfeno at hyperbola.info
Thu Nov 16 13:25:51 UTC 2017

Interesting indeed.

I vote for using terms that define our values, not neutral ones.

Personallyq, I'm an activist, not an user. I want to spread my
values, not rely on neutral term just "to reach" more people. If I reach
more pople in the process, that's OK, but not a priority for me as
free/libre software activist. I don't care for the "quantity" of people
I reach for, I care for the "quality" of my message and the "quality" of
my activism.

I also try to copy/transport/mimic my personal values in my projects or
in the projects I contribute to, so that I'm always "nitpicking" by
mentioning the importance of free/libre software *philosophy* over time
--- over and over when I have the chance, time and patience to do so.

If however, I feel that I'm in an environment/project where it mainly
focuses on "open source" (no matter if they use terms such as "fre/libre
software" or "open source"), despite also doing the same thing as
described in the previous paragraph, I sometimes feel less motivated to
continue working on that project or tend to take/view the project's
product/result with a grain of salt.

Finally, Stallman also states ([1]) that supporters/followers/proponents
--- and projects supporting/following --- free/libre software
*philosophy* should avoid both "FOSS" (because of the misleading "free"
part which reminds people of "gratis") and "FLOSS" (because it's too
neutral).

[1] <http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/2015-10-24--rms--free-software-and-your-freedom--seagl--speech.ogv> (under CC BY-SA 4.0).

--
- https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com