Replicant 6.0 released!

Kurtis Hanna kurtis at riseup.net
Sat May 13 21:24:00 UTC 2017

***

My preface to this wonderful announcement...

The Replicant Project would be very grateful if you could donate these
devices to us so we can also port them to 6.0:

Optimus Black (P970)
Galaxy Note 8.0 (GT-N5100, GT-N5110, GT-N5120)
Nexus 10 (Mantaray)

Information about how to send these devices, or money/bitcoin for us to
purchase these devices, to our lead developer in Germany can be found
here: https://blog.fossencdi.org/donations.html

Phones with Replicant pre-installed can be purchased from these ethical
tech shops: https://www.replicant.us/supported-devices.php#stores

-kurtis

***

You can read this content as a blog post here: [1]

Over the last one and a half years, a lot of work has been done to move
Replicant to a new version and to add new features. Everything started
with a (now archived) forum post[2] in January 2016 that documented the
initial efforts to get Replicant 6.0 somehow working on a Galaxy S3.
Development continued through the first half of 2016, however by far
most of the work was done from September 2016 onwards.

Replicant 4.2, the last release, was based on CyanogenMod 10.1 and
Android 4.2 respectively. Replicant 6.0 is based on LineageOS 13.0 which
is based on Android 6.0. Replicant 6.0 includes all the improvements
that were made since CyanogenMod 10.1. Have a look at the changelog
[3] for an overview of the new features and changes that were
additionally made on our side.

This initial release supports the Galaxy S2[4], Galaxy S3[5] and Galaxy
Note 2[6]. The Galaxy S3 4G[7] was added as an incomplete device for now
as support for telephony and mobile data is missing. The status page[8]
shows which functionalities are supported on the individual devices. The
previous blog post[9] details the reasons why no SDK is provided as part
of the release.

Unfortunately, this release only supports a subset of the devices that
were previously supported by Replicant 4.2. So adding support for more
devices has the highest priority for the next update. Thanks to device
donations from the community, it will be possible to get Replicant 6.0
working on the GTA04, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
and Galaxy Note.

As an additional release goal, a complete wiki overhaul was completed
over the last two months. Besides updating outdated pages and a general
cleanup, a lot of new documentation is now available for users and
developers alike. We hope the new release will attract more developers,
so that we can tackle some of the tasks[10] we have been facing for a
long time.

[1] https://blog.replicant.us/2017/05/replicant-6-0-released/
[2] https://redmine.replicant.us/boards/21/topics/13985
[3]
https://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/replicant/images/replicant-6.0/0001/metadata/changelog.txt
[4] https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/GalaxyS2I9100
[5] https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/GalaxyS3I9300
[6] https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/GalaxyNote2N7100
[7] https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/GalaxyS3I9305
[8]
https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/ReplicantStatus#Replicant-60
[9]
https://blog.replicant.us/2017/04/there-wont-be-a-replicant-6-0-sdk-because-there-is-already-something-better/
[10] https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/Tasks

Posted on 13 May 2017 by Wolfgang Wiedmeyer
Creative Commons BY-SA 3.0 license
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/