Conferencia Internacional de Software Libre Cuba

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Mon Nov 16 14:26:21 UTC 2015

On 16/11/15 15:00, Albrecht Mühlenschulte wrote:
> On 16 Nov 2015, at 13:15, MJ Ray wrote:
>> Carsten Agger wrote:
>>> But first, in order to plan it, I'm going to need some dates :-)
>>
>> http://www.cubaconf.org/ says 25-27 April 2016.  Bit of a blooper
>> omitting that from the announcement posted here.
> Sorry, that one's on me, 25-27th of April is the date.
>
>> I enjoyed visiting Cuba years ago but I caution anyone going there to
>> expect randomness and try to have several alternative plans for getting
>> anything important done because life seems much much more unpredictable
>> there than Europe.  Usually not bad - just unpredictable.
> ;) I guess that's still true, but the cuban part of the team will do
> everything
>  possible to make things run smoothly.

Unpredictability is a factor but it can be planned for (e.g. having
pre-recorded videos of any demos, in case network connectivity fails)

It is not just Cuba - the US federal government shut down for 3 weeks in
2013 messing up travel plans for many people, we were there at the time
and it wasn't nice.

Would you be interested in having a presentation about free
communications (alternatives to Skype, Viber, Hangouts) at the event?

Do you have commitment from other free software communities in other
Latin American countries who will participate or it is more likely to be
local Cuban and potentially central-American attendees?

I attended DebConf12[1] in Nicaragua and there were people from many of
the neighboring countries who were really thrilled to be able to travel
there.  I hear that Fedora recently had an event in Argentina[2] and
they may have also made many contacts in the region as part of that.

Regards,

Daniel

1. http://debconf12.debconf.org/
2. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:Cordoba_2015