Nokia spreading FUD?

Jelle Hermsen jelle at fsfe.org
Mon Mar 14 19:17:36 UTC 2011

Hiya,
It's really sad what's happening with Nokia. To me it just proves the
point that important FLOSS projects are best off being governed by an
independent foundation.  I'm not sure what this all means to the KDE
QT Foundation
(http://www.kde.org/community/whatiskde/kdefreeqtfoundation.php ), but
quite frankly I don't care much about the "commercial" side of things.
I intentionally use the quotes, because I strongly agree with the FSF
that "commercial" is a word to avoid
(http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Commercial ).
FLOSS can be commercial, but I don't agree with David Wheeler that
it's (almost) always the case. It's too much a spin on words and
definitions if you ask me. It's a typical problem when you hijack a
word and mix it up with several legal viewpoints. This creates a big
mush in which you can 'prove' almost anything. When you look at the
legal definitions of a word, you can only and exclusively use those
definitions inside the specific domain it applies to. Lifting it from
its context and trying to prove a much larger, 'universal' point is
generally a bad idea, because it can create much haziness which helps
nobody.

Regarding Qt, I can say I never really warmed up to it. When Trolltech
finally managed to fix the licensing issues I already turned my back
to it and never really returned. However, it is a real important
project, and I sincerely hope the development of Qt won't be depending
on all the dark business voodoo that's going on around Nokia.

On the supposed restrictions on the use of FLOSS in defense &
aerospace I call a big "crap alert". You only need to point to the
programming language Ada, which is an international standard and its
major implementation GNAT is Free Software. GNAT is part of the GNU
Compiler Collection and is used widely among aerospace & defence
around the world. You only need to remind someone that the DoD itself
created the language in the first place and opened it up.

Thanks for the blog post, it's great food for thought!

Cheers,
Jelle