Commercial Software (was: Re: Nokia spreading FUD?)

Matthias Kirschner mk at fsfe.org
Tue Mar 15 07:44:31 UTC 2011

Hello Jelle,

* Jelle Hermsen <jelle at fsfe.org> [2011-03-14 20:17:36 +0100]:

> I intentionally use the quotes, because I strongly agree with the FSF
> that "commercial" is a word to avoid
> (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Commercial ).
> FLOSS can be commercial, but I don't agree with David Wheeler that
> it's (almost) always the case. It's too much a spin on words and
> definitions if you ask me.

Would anyone here disagree that software is commercial as soon as people
are paid to develop it?

Does anybody here see a difference between the amount of
- commercial non-free software and commercial Free Software or
- non-commercial non-free software and non-commercial Free Software?

The only advantage in this case: you know that people have no clue about
Free Software when they use commercial software as an antonym to Free
Software.

Regards,
Matthias

--
Matthias Kirschner - Fellowship Coordinator, German Coordinator
Free Software Foundation Europe (fsfe.org)