Accused of copyright infridgment

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Wed Feb 6 17:05:43 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 17:53 +0100, Matthias-Christian Ott wrote:
> no-reply <blackhole at lobianco.org> wrote:
> > Now these people (Germans) sent me a threat letter and asked me to switch
> > off my web-site.
>
> I suggest to simply ingore them. They are just spreading FUD. If you
> have a clear consience, a court will fully discharge you.

Ignoring potential legal action is almost certainly the absolute worst
way to respond - not least because hiring a lawyer to get real advice
and write back to them is much cheaper than going to court (where you're
not likely to recover your costs).

If they are blowing smoke, it's pretty cheap to get a professional to
write to them and ask them to be specific, and that will likely be the
last he hears from them. Also, some Universities will have retained
services already which could be useful in this regard.

Cheers,

Alex.