NT: free software and money

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Mar 29 18:33:36 UTC 2004

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 01:04:44PM +0200, Moritz Sinn wrote:
> Andrea Glorioso <sama at perchetopi.org> writes:

> > I'll  stop here before we drift  off-topic, but I  think a serious and
> > scientific discussion on the  topic of economy  and Libre Software (as
> > well  as libre content,  libre communication, etc, etc)  is a thing to
> > do.  Most probably  it's already being done and  I don't know  where -
> > any suggestion in this sense is welcome.

An  active discussion list for Free Software business is
http://www.crynwr.com/fsb/

> As it was already mentioned, the oekonux project (oekonux.org)
> discusses the effect of
> free software on economy and society and how the principle could change
> the world, or what power and motivation lays in the free software
> movement.

While I find it good, that oekonux offers a place to debate those
questions should be noted that they sometimes come up with odd arguments
and questions that have been debated in length in other disciplins already.

In my eyes they focus too much on the capitalism versus communism
question, where the real economies faces a lot of different problems
and there never has been a real capitalism or communism.
Economy scientists will describe the situation and their current
theories with other terms.
I even heard some oekonux people believe that this could develop
into gratis physical goods.
Naturally I do not share this notion.