The Hurd

Marcus Brinkmann Marcus.Brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Mar 22 21:12:50 UTC 2002

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 10:08:33PM +0100, Eneko Lacunza wrote:
> 	Currently? Yes. But I think they (we) do see that although currently
> the main reason is that is is free/gratis  (this is each day less true),
> in the future it will be better (more capabilities/stability) and for
> everyone (not owned by a company).

But the reason to use free software should not be that it is better, because
then people will stop using free software if it fails to be better.  This is
especially important because some laws prevent us from doing software that
is better (patent law for example).  Sometimes free software is better, and
sometimes it isn't.  In both cases you should use free software because it
is free.

Thanks,
Marcus

--