RMS interview

Rainer Trusch rainer.trusch at students.uni-mainz.de
Thu Jul 4 01:46:21 UTC 2002

Hi,

On Wed, 03 Jul 2002, MJ Ray wrote:
> Rainer Trusch <rainer.trusch at students.uni-mainz.de> wrote:
>> was even necessary to make my point clear. If you don't accept this
>> usage, you are on the best way to create some sort off proprierary
>> term, which is only 'allowed' to use in the sense of the FSF. Think
>> about if this is useful.
>
> IIRC, the term "free software" was created and defined by FSF.  Why
> do you want to change it?

That shouldn't imply using the terms free or freedom is accepted in a
sofware context only, if it matches "free software". I just used the
term "less free licenses". You get easily an we-are-the-truth image,
which isn't helpful to convince people.

>> Simplistic black&white schemes aren't helpful and I'm pretty
>> allergic against them, espically in a time where they are even
>> misused on a global political scale.
>
> Analgously, is it necessary to grade dictators in order to say that
> they are dictators?  If you dislike dictatorship, they will all be
> undesirable.

I'm not sure if I got your argument right, but it sounds like everyone
producing software with a non-free license is the same as the Redmond
company? Thats tough.

>> Oh, the well known tape is running, but at least you agreed with my
>> main argument, because you didn't give an comment against it. To
>> remind you, I was talking about control and not about freedom. ;-)
>
> Oh, the well known sarcasm track has kicked in on this other tape.

I agree that sarcasm isn't very helpful. Sorry for that. I have my
mistakes as well. I was bit overun bei these general freedom comments,
which had nothing to do with my main argument, giving me the
impression they arn't listening to me. Apart from me, others are quite
likely not to take you for serious. It's all about communication and
if we like it or not, it has to be looked for. As you noticed I'm not
perfect in terms of that es well. :-)

Rainer