Why we speak about Free Software

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan at intevation.de
Wed Apr 24 16:27:17 UTC 2002

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 03:46:29PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Jan-Oliver Wagner <jan at intevation.de> wrote:
> > My personal opinion is that if the web pages did not
> > change, also the corporate culture did not adopt the term
> > Free Software nor understand the problem of the other term.
>
> On a saddening point, an open source promoter with EC involvement was at a
> meeting I was at recently, yet he promoted StarOffice as an "open source"
> alternative.  I'm rather confused by this.  I am right in thinking that it
> is restrictively licensed, am I not?  It looks it to me, but am I going mad?

no, you are not going mad :-)
StarOffice is _no_ Free Software.

Yesterday I had a talk on Free Software and GIS at University of
M√ľnster and exactly the same statement came up from the audience.
It is really interesting how it evolved that so many people
think of StarOffice as Free Software.

	Jan

--
Jan-Oliver Wagner               http://intevation.de/~jan/