Linux on Windows

Josef Dalcolmo dalcolmo at vh-s.de
Wed Oct 31 17:40:53 UTC 2001

simo.sorce at tiscalinet.it said:
> Solution: push for open standards, or better, push for free (as in
> freedom) data formats for your data.

I agree with this, though I don't understand why that is linked to the OS.

For me to move to something else from MS Word I still need to be able to
convert from/to the ubiquitous MS Word format and retain the information
(including tables, headings, Graphics). That is not yet possible - And yes, I
would prefer working with LaTeX, but I haven't been able to convince my
co-workers or our business partners.

I am soon the last one in my company to use Linux. The others moved from Linux
to Windows, because they need to work on those darn documents in the format
almost everyone else works on.

I can run MS Word only on MS Windows because of Bill Gates closed policy.
I can run Octave only on Linux because of RMS's closed policy?

I thought freedom prevails because of its openness.

- Josef