Worms, was Re: On philosophy, hierarchy of orgs, definitions, and the logo

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Jan 5 09:49:43 UTC 2001

Simo Sorce <simo.sorce at tiscalinet.it> writes:
> The forse of free software is not it's virus immunity, and a virus may
> be written against free software too.
>
> The force is it's freedom, we must concetrate to explain people how big
> software giant control them, expecially now that network let them get
> your data through their bloated, closed software

I'm not so sure.  The Freedom of the code gives many benefits and the
sort of peer review which spots the potential for attacks like the
Windows worms is one of them.  (They are not viruses, they don't
modify other programs (did they?).)  For the pragmatists, appealing to
this sort of practical benefit is far better than the "big brother
owns your vital software" approach.

Of course, Free software is not immune, as soon after the Windows
attacks, someone showed how to twist the popular email client "mutt"
into being vulnerable to such attacks.  It doesn't ship like that as
default, though...
--
MJR