On philosophy, hierarchy of orgs, definitions, and the logo

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at tiscalinet.it
Fri Jan 5 08:26:14 UTC 2001

Alistair Davidson wrote:

> MJ Ray wrote:
> >
> > Alistair Davidson <lordylordy at mad.scientist.com> writes:
> >
> > > I think we need to educate the media the next time that a macro virus
> > > crashes all the mail servers. As we all know, the love-bug and Melissa
> > > didn't affect Linux et al.
> >
> > Indeed.  I pointed this out to many media and business organisations
> > at the time, but they didn't care: the line was similar to "who cares?
> > *We've* been hurt by this!" each time.
>
> I guess our job is to change that attitude.

The forse of free software is not it's virus immunity, and a virus may
be written against free software too.

The force is it's freedom, we must concetrate to explain people how big
software giant control them, expecially now that network let them get
your data through their bloated, closed software

> > > Actually, I'm getting my hands on a Java book and coding, but it's the
> > > same principle. Goo luck.
> >
> > Care for a debate about the non-Free nature of the Java language
> > standard?  Is that something FSFE should comment on?  ;-)
>
> I don't care for a debate, because I agree. Java has to be one of the
> biggest issues around today, just after software patents.

Java may be freed!

> > Anyway, hope you have good luck with Japhar or Kaffee or whatever
> > (because you use Free software, yes?).
>
> I'm not using an IDE right now. Just MS-DOS edit.

oh my g....

> Yeah, yeah, I know. This a Windoze box, so shoot me ;) It's also the
> family box, so there's not much I can do. I'll be building a largely
> Free comp soon.

Hey man, my family and my girlfriend uses Linux without problems! And so
do many other friends.
Setting up Linux may be difficult (not so much anymore) but using it is
simple nowadays.
My relatives does not know any command and they has never used the
shell, and they've still no problem.

If you do not educate first the people that are most near to you (and
possibly trust you), how can you educate any other?

The key is in fact education, we need to educate people to regain their
freedom and not sell it away for 2 eurocents.

My 2 eurocents :)

Simo.

simo.sorce at tiscalinet.it
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/9757