Free Software Magazine

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan at intevation.de
Tue Dec 4 11:49:57 UTC 2001

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 08:35:30AM +0100, Klaus Schilling wrote:
> Jan-Oliver Wagner writes:
>  > A free software magazine is missing since all the Linux
>  > magazines turn to proprietary products more and more.
>
> Is this referring to the copyright of the magazines themselves or the fact
> that most of them report often approvingly popular proprietary software
> that happens to run on GNU/Linux, such as kylix, oracle, netscape communic.?

I meant the reports on proprietary products. While
it is unavoidable for the magazines to mention such products,
it is more and more the case that for a product type
proprietary solutions are presented and good free software
product are neglected in the list.

Another important point is that proprietary products
are not identified as such when reporting on them.
A good example was the VShop article in a recent
issue of the German Linux Magazine. Some people
might believe now that VShop is Free Software and
that it is the best of the Free Software solutions.

Jan
--
Jan-Oliver Wagner               http://intevation.de/~jan/

Intevation GmbH	              	     http://intevation.de/