Collaborative Virtual Workspace License (CVW)

Joerg Schilling schilling at fokus.gmd.de
Wed Aug 22 11:28:16 UTC 2001

>From: Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org>

>You are right that the GNU project wants an assignment for the core
>OS. tar(1) is one of those important parts.  Well there is a very well
>working tar available so it does not make sense to dispense with a
>copyright assignment.

I aggree with you! Star is the fastest and most standard compliant tar
implementation even witout haveing FSF copyright asigned to it.
There is no need to hassle with copyright assignements. Many people
already discovered that GNUtar has compatibility problems with many other
tar impelemtations outside... better to have a good impelementation witout
the blessng of FSF than a bad implementation with FSF's blessing.

>I do not understand why a request for a copyright assignments reduces
>freedom - especially not for the assignee who is not even bound to
>the license and can change it as he likes.

This is funny that you don't understand...

Make a mathematical proove: If your stapement was true, then FSF would have
no need to insist in the copyright assignement.

Jörg

       js at cs.tu-berlin.de		(uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1
       schilling at fokus.gmd.de		(work) chars I am J"org Schilling