[Fellowship Zurich] [CH-FSFE] Strategy for next year: 'breakfast briefing' event and Swiss Free Software Day!

Graeme West west at fsfeurope.org
Fr Jan 9 14:56:07 UTC 2009

Hi Hannes,
Thanks for your message.

On Wednesday 07 January 2009 21:37:36 Hannes Gassert wrote:
> Hi Graeme, everybody,
>
> Thanks for this most interesting outlook. Your ideas have a lot in
> common with what we do at /ch/open, so we do of course appreciate a lot
> your intent to coordinate with us (Swiss Free Software Day <-> OpenExpo,
> Breakfast Briefing <-> /ch/open Business Lunches[1]).

Indeed, it seems we have very similar objectives! The "Open Business Lunch"
event seems most similar to what we had in mind, in terms of format at least,
however the content of the "Öffentliche Ausschreibungen, AGB Bund und Open
Source" event seems closer to what we would like to talk about.

> It's not too clear how we could help,

One area we might usefully coordinate is in the area of documentation and
briefing notes. I understand that /ch/open has been involved in creating
documentation for decision-makers, and it would be useful to see if there are
areas where we can assist with this.

We really want to fulfil the role of educating decision-makers in government,
trade unions and NGOs, so documentation to take away would help make the best
of any events we/you hold.

We would also be more than happy to send speakers to Open Business Lunches,
either myself, Shane Coughlan or others. Perhaps the Fellows would be
interested in helping out at meetings, too.

> but if you plan to focus on government, there's two
> events you must not miss:
>
> # The upcoming event "Öffentliche Ausschreibungen, AGB Bund und Open
> Source" [2]
> # OpenExpo's Government Track on April 1.

Indeed, I think the focus on government is worthwhile, and these two events .
Clearly, you have an existing, successful format, and a regular audience with
your business lunch series. So it would be great if we could either augment a
future event with speakers, written materials and personnel or discuss holding
a joint event.

> And of course please do not hesitate to contact us as soon as your plans
> become more tangible.

We will!

> Sending kind regards,
> Hannes, /ch/open Board Member