[REUSE] Introduce folder.license file

Andreas Cord-Landwehr cordlandwehr at kde.org
Sun Jun 7 08:47:55 UTC 2020

On Freitag, 5. Juni 2020 16:02:42 CEST Max Mehl wrote:
[...]
> "folder.license" makes sense name-wise, but as Lars pointed out,
> choosing a file name starting with a special character avoids that the
> file is somewhere in between "normal" files.
>
> ".license" could work, as dotfiles are quite common for meta
> information, e.g. .gitignore or .reuse/. However, it would be yet
> another naming scheme next to "dep5" and "file.license".

Hi, I think that the visibility of such a ".license" file could be a problem in
practise though. When looking at a typical KDE project, we sometimes have
inexperienced contributors doing their first commits in open source. With
having licensing information inside source code files everything is nice,
because they always see the license of the files they are modifying or are
getting hit by commit hooks if they try to commit files and were not aware that
license statements are required.

Yet, for folders, if you do not enable the display of hidden files, you might
be completely unaware of the license that you assign to a file unless you run
the reuse tool (which you have to know, too).

Thus, I would prefer something that is not a file that is hidden by default on
most systems.

Cheers,
Andreas