[REUSE] Introduce folder.license file

Max Mehl max.mehl at fsfe.org
Fri Jun 5 14:02:42 UTC 2020

~ Matija Å uklje [2020-05-19 19:55 +0200]:
> Die 13. 03. 20 et hora 09:20 nicolas1.toussaint at orange.com scripsit:
>> +1 to slowly deprecate dep5, for all reasons given before
>> +1 to store folder specific licensing info *inside* the folders (I guess
>> we all agree in fact)
>
> I agree.

I agree with both points as well.

> One option would be to call that file simply `.license` analogous to the
> `.desktop` file that we all know and love. Obviously this would be a hidden file
> on *nix systems, which has its pluses and minuses.
>
> [...]
>
> Another option would be to actually just call it literally `folder.license`

That's a tricky one. Obviously, giving this file the same name as the
folder is error-prone, so not an option. So the analogy to file.license
is gone more or less.

"folder.license" makes sense name-wise, but as Lars pointed out,
choosing a file name starting with a special character avoids that the
file is somewhere in between "normal" files.

".license" could work, as dotfiles are quite common for meta
information, e.g. .gitignore or .reuse/. However, it would be yet
another naming scheme next to "dep5" and "file.license".

But since I do not have a better idea as well, ".license" could work as
a text file containing Copyright/Licensing information in the
standardised REUSE/SPDX format on a directory level. However, if there
are any suggestions, please raise your voice!

Best,
Max

--
Max Mehl - Programme Manager - Free Software Foundation Europe
Contact and information: https://fsfe.org/about/mehl | @mxmehl