[Fellowship-Slovenia] Free Software and law related links 1.VIII.2011 - 14.VIII.2011

Matija Šuklje hook at fsfe.org
Wed Aug 17 08:09:56 UTC 2011

The past two weeks were quite eventful. Especially regarding patents, where a
surprisingly huge amount of critique over patents was done, after the Nortel
patent portfolio is being bought by the Rockstar consortium (Apple, Microsoft,
RIM, etc.). I would especially like to point you out to the two articles
published by Forbes (see Software Patents)

As far as business and patents go, the biggest news item was probably Google
planning to acquire Motorola Mobility (see Free Software Business).

In the Open Standards department, there is an interesting shift, as Skype
(recently acquired by Microsoft) decides to use Google's VP8 open standard
video codec for their video calls.

I would like to thank Natalia Evdokimova for her help with collecting these
links.

Full article on:
http://matija.suklje.name/?q=node/254

cheers,
Matija
--
FSFE Legal Coordinator
and Fellowship group Slovenia Coordinator
e-mail: hook at fsfe.org    █▉█▉█▉ || priv. e-mail: matija at suklje.name
xmpp: hook at jabber.fsfe.org ▉▉   || priv. xmpp: matija.suklje at gabbler.org
sip: hook at ekiga.net             || gsm: +386 41 849 552