[Fsfe-ie] Reply from Brian Crowley

Robert Fitzsimons robfitz at 273k.net
Fri Feb 11 01:11:35 CET 2005

Hi Guys

It's been a while since I've talked with any of you, but I might be able
to help with getting a meeting with Mr McCreevy.  A friend from work has
a contact(s) or family who is a high up member Fianna Fail and/or the
current government.

I've talked with my friend many times about the patent issue.  He would
seem to be in favour of patents in general but does agree with a number
of the issues we have raised about the proposes directives.

He did say that he could try and get us extra contact or even a meetings
with the relevant minister(s) if that would help us get our message
across.

As for arguments against software patents:

* We might need to promote the effects on the commercial software
development as much as the effects on free software.
* From a free trade point of view monopoly's and closed markets are
bad for global business, patents help to promote and in large
monopoly's and closed markets.
* I would also like to see some discussion on how these patents benefit
the common pool of knowledge after the patent expires, and if this
extra (?) knowledge is worthily of a 20 year monopoly.

Robert Fitzsimons
robfitz at 273k.net