[Fsfe-ie] Ireland to build register of 3g phone users

Alastair McKinstry mckinstry at computer.org
Wed Jun 2 12:07:11 CEST 2004

>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/01/ireland_3g_register/
>
>In and of itself I dont have a problem with this , but the content filtering
part
>could be seen as the thin end of the wedge to filter all forms of communication.

>Sean

This sounds both sinister and clueless. The minister is (ab)using his power
to control 3G licensees to stretch into clear privacy areas. Why no national
register to control digital cameras, camcorders? For that matter, if the issue
is 'carrying video clips', how about registering all flash cards, CD-ROMS, etc?

Does anyone have a link to source material, detailed announcements by the Minister,
etc?

Regards,
Alastair McKinstry