FSFE Local group in Belgium

Nicolas Pettiaux nicolas at pettiaux.be
Sun Nov 13 16:03:30 UTC 2022

Hello,

Thanks Nico for the answer.

Indeed, languages can be a barrier, as much as the fact that we are
small communities (the Belgian French, Flemisch and German communities).
In October 2000, more than 20 years ago, we gathered in a room on the
VUB campus in Brussels to setup a « Belgian Free Software association ».

About 35 people were present, under the leadership of Herman Bruyninckx,
a then assistant professor at KUL and myself. We have started a group
that called itself openbe but very soon, people started to fight to know
if we would support free software (the people liking the GPL or copyleft
spirit) or open-source software (the people liking the BSD spirit). We
have had many meetings to try to setup an association and we have
decided that it was too difficult as we were too small.

I have then joined the French speaking AFUL and APRIL association,
noting that they were theoritically international and French speaking
but in practice more French than international.

In parallel, the BXLUG user group has started, and is still living, but
it is a team of people more interested and active with the organization
of install parties and very important reciprocal help than with lobbying
activities.

In 2012, I have started the organisation in Brussels of the RMLL
(rencontres mondiales du logiciel libre) a French annual conference that
started in Bordeaux in 2000 to gather annually free software developpers
and users (unlike Fosdem that wants to gather only developpers, hence
the name). RMLL had been organized outside of France for the first time
in Geneva in 2012. Brussels was the second out of France gathering. At
this occasion, the association Abelli has started and since lives. It
has organized other activities (associalibre, educalibre) since 2017.

Hope to read you soon,

Nicolas

--
*Nicolas Pettiaux, phd* - gsm +32 496 24 55 01 - communication sécurisée
@npettiaux:matrix.org