tax-deductible donations probably not feasible in Belgium

Reinhard Mueller mueller at fsfeurope.org
Thu Jul 14 17:04:31 CEST 2011

Hi, Jelle!

Thank you very much for taking this forward!

Am Donnerstag, den 14.07.2011, 16:28 +0200 schrieb Jelle Hermsen:
> To put it in English this implies that when an organization is
> charitable in another member state of the EU it also is in Belgium, if
> (and only if):
> - the organization conforms to the rules for charitable organizations
> in Belgium
> - the donor receives written proof that the organization is in fact
> charitable in that other member state (in our case, the proof that the
> FSFE has an ANBI in the Netherlands)

Given that we manage to fit FSFE in any of the possible categories, I
think we should not base Belgium's status on the Netherland's status,
which in turn is based on Germany's status. Since Germany is an EU
country, too, it might make more sense to refer the Belgian authorities
directly to the charitable status in Germany, it's just one level of
indirection less.

If this helps: the charitable status in Germany is based on the fact
that FSFE has "Volksbildung" (education of the public) as a
constitutional goal.

Thanks,
Reinhard