Your thoughts about RCS: an open standard in proprietary hands to replace SMS

Daniele "Mte90" Scasciafratte mte90net at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 10:43:40 UTC 2023

Do you have some specification about why it should be a problem that this new standard is a problem if managed by US companies?

Because https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS says that the SMS technology started in Europe but it was a multi national collaboration with various organizations.
Also I guess that there will be a retro compatibility with SMS.

Reading https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Communication_Services has retro compatibility and it is already offered since 88 operators and supported by the GSM association.

"In response to concerns over the lack of end-to-end encryption in RCS, Google stated that it would only retain message data in transit until it is delivered to the recipient." this because google added in their messages app the e2e encryption.
Also "Google added end-to-end encryption to their Messages app using the Signal Protocol <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_Protocol> as the default option for one-on-one RCS conversations starting in June 2021"

So reading the page doesn't seem an issue that Google or Apple will add support to this protocol (except for the e2e encryption that depends on the app used) as it is managed everything by the operators.

Just my 2 cents reading a bit on wikipedia and nothing else.

Daniele Scasciafratte - OpenSource MultiVersal Guy
daniele.tech <https://daniele.tech> - @Mte90Net <https://twitter.com/Mte90net> - GitHub <https://github.com/Mte90> - Italian Linux Society council member <http://www.ils.org/> - Mozillian <https://people.mozilla.org/p/Mte90>
Ex Mozilla Reps/TechSpeakers, WordPress Core Contributor <https://profiles.wordpress.org/mte90>,
LibreItalia member <http://www.libreitalia.it/>, Wikimedia Italia member <https://www.wikimedia.it/> and LUG Rieti founder <http://lugrieti.linux.it/>.