Your thoughts about RCS: an open standard in proprietary hands to replace SMS

André Ockers ao at fsfe.org
Sun Dec 3 09:34:07 UTC 2023

Dear members of the FSFE discussion list,

Please allow me to share a concern of mine. A business initiative of Google,
supported by Apple, is Rich Communication Services (RCS), an open standard to
replace SMS [1] [2] [3]. Questions that I have:
- 	Would it be a smart and wise decision to let a non-European business
take control over replacing SMS?
-	Would it be a smart and wise decision to break SMS as a general
accessible service?
-	What would consequences be for Free Software, the privacy and consumer
rights of us Europeans, and the environment?

Best regards,

--
André Ockers

Member, Free Software Foundation Europe discussion list

Blog (Dutch) | http://o7s.eu

Blog (English) | http://en.o7s.eu

Diaspora | https://diasp.eu/i/bf035797fa6c

Mastodon | https://hostsharing.coop/@ao

GnuPG public key | 0xE5A985A4D29A2E80

Steun de FSFE en bescherm uw vrijheid! | https://my.fsfe.org/donate

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Communication_Services
[2] https://www.heise.de/news/Google-gibt-nicht-auf-RCS-Messenger-mit-neuen-Funktionen-und-neuem-Icon-7315887.html [German]
[3] https://www.security.nl/posting/820331/Google%3A+SMS-vervanger+RCS+bij+
%C3%A9%C3%A9n+miljard+Androidgebruikers+ingeschakeld [Dutch]