Is Matrix a good choice?

Nico Rikken nico.rikken at fsfe.org
Mon Mar 14 08:46:52 UTC 2022

I read it, and it was shared within the FSFE previously.
Currently both XMPP and Matrix are available, but not bridged.
Personally I think XMPP is fine for the FSFE, but Matrix is growing in
adoption in the larger free software community, and thus might be a
lower barrier of entry compared to XMPP. I see positive and negative
sides for both.

In recent years the XMPP setup of FSFE has increased quite a bit. The
most important feature to me was the caching of messages, something
that I feel is lacking in say IRC. Both Matrix and XMPP now offer this
message caching, and offer methods for end-to-end encryption, so the
choice between both of them to me is more of a nuance.

Dr. Trigon, what is the main concern you have with Matrix for bringing
this up?

Best,
Nico