Upcycling Android

Erik Albers eal at fsfe.org
Thu Nov 25 19:57:42 UTC 2021

Hi all,

today we launched our new initiative Upcycling Android to help users
overcoming software obsolescence - with focus on the Android world.

Software obsolescence occurs when a device's manufacturer discontinues support
for the software required to operate the device. In this way, manufacturers
put consumers into the dilemma of either buying new hardware or living with
outdated software and potential security issues. This is exactly what is a big
problem in the Android world. Installing a Free Software Operating System
("Custom ROM") can be a way out of the dilemma. You may know this, but many
people don't. And for them we made the campaign. Along with the motivating
realization that every time we continue to use our phone with Free Software,
we support a more sustainable use of our resources.

You find more information on https://www.upcyclingandroid.org

If you like the campaign, please help to spread the word. In particular we
would love to see this message reaching out of our "usual bubble" and into
communities who traditionally are more concerned about the environment and/or
the right to repair movement. Let them know that Free Software is good for
everyone ; )

We also produced a nice video for the campaign, you can find it on:
Peertube: https://media.fsfe.org/w/kGvs3JNADvvQfkC1dR9FGr
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eogGN7b-9k

as well as attractive information and promotion material:
https://fsfe.org/activities/upcyclingandroid/informationmaterial.html

And this is just the beginning. In the coming months we will further elaborate
the material and policy statements around Upcyling Android. And use it to
influence the European legislation and directives to be negotiated next year
regarding the eco-design of products and the related Sustainable Products
Initiative.

We're also hosting workshops bringing people together to help each other
install Custom ROMs on specific phones. So if you like the campaign now, keep
checking back to https://www.upcyclingandroid.org for the latest news and
updates.

Best regards,
   Erik

--
No one shall ever be forced to use non-free software
Erik Albers | Programme Manager Sustainability | FSFE