Help with gathering resources for how to learn programming for children book

Matthias Kirschner mk at fsfe.org
Mon Nov 1 14:29:44 UTC 2021

Dear Michael,

* Michael McMahon [2021-10-26 18:38 +0200]:
> I have several years of experience teaching introductory programming
> concepts to children aged 6-18 in an after school setting using free
> software.

First of all thank you very much for your great feedback. Will try that
out in the coming years.

Would you be able to include the information below on
https://wiki.fsfe.org/Activities/ProgrammingForChildren ? If so let me
know if you need any help with that.

> The 5-6 age range (at least with my students) was limited to drag and
> drop concepts such as Music Blocks [1], Blockly [2], Scratch 1.4 [3],
> and code.org.  Music Blocks, Blockly, and the old offline Scratch
> version 1.4 are the only popular drag and drop options that are 100%
> free software that I am aware of.
>
> Around the age of 10, I would switch them away from drag and drop
> languages to Python or Lua if they were inclined through modifying
> simple games and modifying Minetest mods.
>
> I would primarily recommend Music Blocks as it can even be used offline
> through a browser on old hardware.  The surrounding Sugar project [4] is
> also appropriate for this age group and can be found bundled with
> Trisquel [5].
>
> Blockly is more of a framework than an easy to point to resource.
> Scratch is more focused on vendor lock-in rather than generally teaching
> programming in my opinion as there are not resources for moving on from
> Scratch within their platform.
>
> I would also recommend the book Lauren Ipsum: A Story About Computer
> Science and Other Improbable Things by Carlos Bueno from No Starch Press
> [6] which targets ages 10 and up.
>
> [1] https://musicblocks.sugarlabs.org/
>
> [2] https://github.com/google/blockly https://developers.google.com/blockly/
>
> [3] https://scratch.mit.edu/scratch_1.4
>
> [4] https://www.sugarlabs.org/
>
> [5] http://mirror.fsf.org/trisquel-images/trisquel-sugar_9.0_amd64.iso
> https://cdimage.trisquel.info/trisquel-images/trisquel-sugar_9.0_amd64.iso.sha256
>
> [6] https://nostarch.com/laurenipsum

Best regards,
Matthias

--
Matthias Kirschner - President - Free Software Foundation Europe
Schönhauser Allee 6/7, 10119 Berlin, Germany | t +49-30-27595290