Smartphone as Webcam with Free Software?

Bernhard E. Reiter bernhard at fsfe.org
Wed Apr 29 14:37:53 UTC 2020

Hello,
with webcams being hard to come by right now,
and many people having smartphone or even lying around old one.
Does somebody know how to use an android smartphone as webcam
with Free Software?

On F-droid I've found
https://f-droid.org/de/packages/pl.hypeapp.endoscope/
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/net.majorkernelpanic.spydroid/
https://f-droid.org/de/packages/com.dngames.mobilewebcam/

they are all a few years old and all offer wifi,
but non of them an encrypted stream.
And I don't know how to couple something that I can receive
with vlc or so from those app, to the incomung video system
my a GNU/Linux system.

And no USB solution on sight?

Has somebody seen better instructions for making this work?

Best Regards,
Bernhard

--
FSFE -- Founding Member     Support our work for Free Software:
blogs.fsfe.org/bernhard     https://fsfe.org/donate | contribute