free software promotion and local status

Paul Sutton zleap at zleap.net
Mon May 6 12:41:31 UTC 2019

Hi

On of the digital skills sites is https://www.learnmyway.com/ I think th
e issue with these digital unite et al is lack of volunteers who are the
digital champions with these skills to share them.

It needs education on open standards,  but the argument is that everyone
uses MS word, and closed software as it seen as 'standard'.  Sites
suchas learnmyway also cover how to use facebook,  and make no mentionof
privacy aware social media.

While we can make an argument to them for using open standards, we can
perhaps spend our time teaching via the Internet,

Within the free software community there is some 'mentoring' such as
within Debian, I have requested this as I need to learn packaging.

I also feel that here is also an emphasis, in our communities, on self
learning, self research, having a go rather than simply asking (or in
some cases demanding help).  An expectation to search before asking.

If we perhaps offered something similar to debian-mentoring but for
general free software, sign post people to similar help and within that
discussion promote people like the learning machine, and once we have
'educated' our way, with the passion we have for this,  as this has to
come from the heart, and not from the fact you are being paid to do it.

End goal would perhaps be to teach people how to contribute in an
effective way

All this can be done via e-mail, and may have the effect of producing
people who then go to digitial unite , learn my way to either be digital
champions with free software skills or ask for more help in these skills
which will create the demand that way.

I need help with packaging, using tools like git, github,
salsa.debian.org properly,  local providers are not going to do this,
until there is a demand.

What is also needed is recognition that these skills are useful, we in
the community don't need a qualification to prove our skills, we learn
and help each other and recognize each others skills.

Just a thought, I can try and convince people to offer training in libre
office but one person won't make any difference.

Paul

--
Paul Sutton
http://www.zleap.net