subdomains for testing things (was: forums, mailing lists and other tools)

Max Mehl max.mehl at fsfe.org
Thu Feb 8 09:44:36 UTC 2018

Hi Daniel,

# Daniel Pocock [2018-02-08 10:32 +0100]:
> Could we have a dedicated sub-domain for anything like this that is
> running as a test?
>
> Using a domain like "community.fsfe.org" runs the risk that it is
> perceived as or used as if it were a supported service.

In theory yes, but in practice I'm afraid this would cause more work and
barriers for our volunteers who want to establish a new service.

To avoid confusion, we explicitly decided to *not* advertise this or
other beta services in our communication. When I shared the link on
lists like this, I always noted that this is still not in production.
I'm not sure that the technical layer you proposed will add any further
clarity.

Please also see our guidelines for "volunteer run services":

  https://wiki.fsfe.org/TechDocs/VolunteerRunServices

Best,
Max

--
Max Mehl - Program Manager - Free Software Foundation Europe
Contact and further information: https://fsfe.org/about/mehl