to git or not to git

Carsten Agger agger at modspil.dk
Tue Aug 28 13:11:06 UTC 2018

On 08/28/2018 01:19 AM, Guido Arnold wrote:

> What I see as the crucial part is the "social" component. I'm afraid
> this somewhat derails Alessandro's intended discussion as my point
> totally ignores "who" the current owner of github is.
>
> If you have a project and are looking for more developers to join it,
> you need some kind of visibility so potential developers get aware of
> you. In that sense, github serves as a social network and its current
> state is close to amazon or ebay - and that is what I suspect is why
> they even bothered to buy it.

Yes,  Github has become the "Facebook" or "Google" of free software code
hosting - nearly everybody uses it, and many of the hugest projects have
moved to it.

This is not all bad. In my own company, we used to use our own,
self-hosted Git server (we still do, for some things) which we access
over SSH. This means that even though our software was always Free
Software, it wasn't publicly available. Over the years (since 2011, but
gaining momentum since 2014) we've been moving everything to public
repositories on Github, so now our code is also publicly available,
which is a good thing. (Though it's not /that/ important with regard to
the question of it being Free Software or not.)

I'd say, though, that my experience is that the "social media" aspect of
Github is not as important as e.g. on YouTube or eBay. People find your
software if they hear of it somewhere, in distro repositories, through
clients, co-workers, mailing lists, forums, etc., and it's not so
important where it's hosted. PyPI and CPAN (for Python and Perl) are
more important, I think, but also not really social media.

A thing that /is/ nice, though, and that makes it very irritating that
Github isn't free software, is the pull request and code review
functionality. After using it, it's hard to go back to inspecting diffs
in terminal windows.

Now, following Microsoft's acquisition, we're considering moving to a
self-hosted Gitlab server. And I hope more people will do that. I think
this centralization of having one site for search, one for selling
stuff, one for code, one for social interaction, etc., is the sickness
of the age - and one that very much promotes the proprietary business
model. So my immediate hope on hearing about Microsoft's acquisition was
that this would mean Github decaying and the hosting splintering - but
not in two, three or even five new pieces, but in a million little
pieces. As you say, self-hosting and decentralization is the best thing
we can hope for - and that is also our best hope for avoiding these
giants' proprietary software and all-pervasive surveillance, to which
we're becoming all too used.

Best
Carsten