FSFE in Outreachy?

Nikos Roussos comzeradd at fsfe.org
Tue Sep 5 07:57:25 UTC 2017

On 09/04/2017 10:14 PM, Carmen Bianca Bakker wrote:
>> I do not think the people who are victims of centuries of paternalist
>> government and colonialism should feel responsible of what the white
>> governing people fell. I really do not care about what they feel
>> actually, I am more interested on what the persons who are victim of
>> segregation feel.
>
> Well this is where we depart.  You are saying that some people deserve
> your sympathy and support, and other people do not deserve your sympathy
> and support, by mere virtue of how they were born.  I care for
> _everybody's_ equality and freedom.  Surely, I hope, that's a good
> thing.

I think it's not. What you are saying is that you care equally and
sympathize with both the oppressor and the victim on a given situation.

Caring more about people who are victims of oppression doesn't mean you
want to put them in the place of their oppressors. So, sure these type
of initiative focus on specific groups. That doesn't imply hate or any
other feeling for everyone else.

~nikos