FSFE in Outreachy?

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Sat Sep 2 12:40:31 UTC 2017

Carmen Bianca Bakker <carmenbianca at fsfe.org> wrote:

> On Saturday, 2 September 2017 09:51:36 CEST Nikos Roussos wrote:
> > I don't see any discrimination here, and in general in any initiative
> > that tries to help minorities.
>
> It is discrimination by its very definition, though.  That is: making a
> distinction between groups of people.  This program most definitely does
> that.  It distinguishes between a population it identifies as
> disadvantaged minorities (cis/trans women, ethnic minorities in the US),
> and a population it identifies as advantaged members of the majority
> group (everybody else), and treats those populations differently.  One
> population is permitted an internship, and the other is not.
>
> That is discrimination.  What you probably mean, however, is that this
> is acceptable discrimination to you.  I don't think like that.  Two
> wrongs don't make a right, and I like to stay as consistent as I can in
> my beliefs/opinions: I loathe unjust discrimination.

IANAL but I suspect that the FSFE (a German e.V.) isn't allowed to
participate in Outreachy anyway. My impression is that it would be
a violation of German laws like the AGG:
https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/agg/__11.html
https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/agg/__7.html
https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/agg/__1.html

Unless I missed it, there is no "you are allowed to discriminate
based on race, gender, etc. if you pretend that it's for a good
cause" exception.

Fabian