FSFE in Outreachy?

natacha natacha at lesoiseaux.io
Mon Sep 4 08:17:16 UTC 2017

On 09/01/2017 09:54 AM, discussion-request at lists.fsfe.org wrote:
> Re: FSFE in Outreachy?
> From:
> Carmen Bianca Bakker <carmenbianca at fsfe.org>
> Date:
> 09/01/2017 07:52 AM
>
> To:
> discussion at lists.fsfe.org

Dear Carmen

This is my first post on this list that I have been lurking for some
time but it is very impossible for me to let this be said without reacting.
> Re-posting the below, which ended up on the wrong mailing list:
>
> Hi,
>
> I don't know if it's okay if I add my five cents (adjusted for
> inflation), but I'm reasonably well-read on this and adjacent topics, as
> well as included in the list of minorities that would be sponsored under
> the Outreachy program.
Carmen, the fact that you are a women does not make your voice any more
important in pulling down a fight that others have led for years in
order to change as little as they could current worlds order.

> But I am unequivocally against such programs, on the simple grounds that
> it tries to combat discrimination _through_ discrimination, which is
> about as silly to me as trying to achieve world peace through war.
I do not see any relation between building programs to encourage
diversity and war could you please expand.
>   It
> generates envy/antipathy in individuals from groups that are excluded
> from the given list of minorities, and it generates imposter syndrome in
> those who are,
I do not think the people who are victims of centuries of paternalist
government and colonialism should feel responsible of what the white
governing people fell. I really do not care about what they feel
actually, I am more interested on what the persons who are victim of
segregation feel.
> because they might only be hired/accepted because of
> their status as minority, rather than excelling in their skillset.
I do not see why people would hire anyone for anything else then their
skills. Also women and/or black people are not a minority women compose
more then 50% of the world population and white people in general only
compose 1/8 of worlds population, it is white men that are a minority in
this world, but it is also them who run it.
Also what you say implies that non white male might have less skills
then white male, could you please state references for what you are
saying here.

> I would be very against getting involved in this program, though I know
> that the FSFE currently practises positive discrmination selection
> standards for its internship program:
>
>> We want more women to be involved in Free Software. That's why we will
>> give preference to applications from suitably qualified female
>> candidates.
> from https://fsfe.org/contribute/internship.en.html
>
> I'd personally be a little bit disappointed if this carried any
> significance in my being selected as intern, because I do believe that I
> can hold my own with my unique skillset.
I really do not see why you should be judged like this and please feel
reassured no-one has any reason to think that.

> On Thursday, 31 August 2017 13:43:59 CEST Daniel Pocock wrote:
>> Increasing diversity could also help avoid situations like this in
>> future.
> I don't know if there is any evidence to suggest this.  Where there are
> humans, things sometimes go awry.  Having a more ethnically/sexually
> diverse cast of humans doesn't change that.
Could you please reference what you say because I happen to think the
exact contrary,

regards

natacha