Introduction to software developer profession for teens

Nico Rikken nico.rikken at fsfe.org
Mon Nov 20 16:09:40 UTC 2017

Hi Vitaly,

Each year I go back to my highschool for a similar purpose. I tell them
that there is more to software development than just coding: getting
requirements, providing support, trying new stuff, drinking coffee,
etc. I alway show a bit of code as a glimpse, but is quite offputting
to most. On two occasions the Python language was associated to
programming by the students. So if you'd like to point them to
something concrete, I'd aim for Python. Last year I handed them each a
double-side page with an illustrated version of my bio and concrete
pointers for the students to get started with programming. I tell them
I'm involved with the FSFE and why that matters, but it seems to
abstract. My main message is to just try some programming.

Best of luck!
Nico