Is it acceptable to use proprietary software (platforms) to promote software freedom?

Federico Bruni fede at inventati.org
Wed Jun 21 15:20:05 UTC 2017

Il giorno mer 21 giu 2017 alle 16:47, Daniel Pocock <daniel at pocock.pro>
ha scritto:
> - systems like facebook are made by the establishment, for the
> establishment. Zuckerberg is a regular at Bilderberg these days. This
> brings me to the age old question: can you change the system by using
> the rules the system gives you? People like the Bolsheviks and Gandhi
> didn't exactly think so.

This reminds me a recent discussion I had with a quite popular blogger
here in Italy. He wrote a blog post complaining that Youtube automatic
filters put his video under "restricted mode"¹. The video is about a
"controverse" and hot topic in Italy in the last months, but the
content itself is far from being dangerous or controversial at all.

I commented that we cannot expect real free speech in a walled garden
and these events should encourage video bloggers to start using
alternative platforms. He replied that there's no big audience in
alternative platforms, so he cannot migrate until an alternative
platform reaches the "critical mass".
Well, true but nothing will change if everyone, especially opinion
leaders, adopts this mindset. It's a complicated matter.

¹
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/174084?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en-GB