Is it acceptable to use proprietary software (platforms) to promote software freedom?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Wed Jun 21 15:41:15 UTC 2017

On Wednesday 21. June 2017 17.20.05 Federico Bruni wrote:
 being dangerous or controversial at all.

> I commented that we cannot expect real free speech in a walled garden
> and these events should encourage video bloggers to start using
> alternative platforms. He replied that there's no big audience in
> alternative platforms, so he cannot migrate until an alternative
> platform reaches the "critical mass".

The trouble with such people is that they stop whining when they get what they
want once again. Indeed, you get the impression now that people are usually
aiming to make just enough fuss to get what they personally want (usually on
Twitter or other public shaming service), and then they are quite happy to
forget their principles and take the money when effectively paid to keep
quiet.

That they also won't act on their principles, instead waiting for the red
carpet from where they are now to where they ought to be, is hardly a
surprise.

Paul