Public Money - Public Code: Helping with the campaign

hellekin how at gnu.org
Mon Aug 28 07:54:24 UTC 2017

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 08:18:56 +0200
Jonas Oberg <jonas at fsfe.org> wrote:

> Hi Hellekin,
>
> > I'm referring to 'commercial utilization' as used in the context of
> > what Moritz quoted.
>
> Thank you. I think the context is a bit muddled as it somehow seems to
> suggest the GPL is unsuitable for commercial utilization.

On the contrary, I suggested that 'commercial utilization', in this
context, and probably others, is used to mask a practice that is unfair
and anti-competitive. Often I use very concise language that can be
misinterpreted. To clarify, I think the argument, already developed in
1998 by ESR and the 'open-source' folks, that free software is not
suitable for commerce is a fallacy. See for example:
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

> we should make clear all countries, big and small, benefit from copyleft
> licenses.

Yes.

--
hellekin <how at gnu.org>