FSFE General Assembly Fellowship Representative Election

Albert Dengg albert at fsfe.org
Mon Apr 10 15:16:18 UTC 2017

hello paul,
On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 04:16:04PM +0200, Paul Boddie wrote:
> Unfortunately, the "hustings" were announced as taking place on two
> consecutive days [1], subsequently reduced to one [2], and then took place on
> the day that was "unannounced". There hasn't been any other discussion about
> the candidates' positions, as far as I can tell.
well, changing the dates is unfutunate yes, however, what kind of
discussions would you have hopped for?
i hope we can give you all the information you need to make an
informed decision.

yes, the times that i was a candidate we held the the discussion
meetings with xmpp not irc, but at least to me that constitues a
minor change in procedures (and if i remember correctly we also only
had one xmpp meeting, though i have not checked that)

> Now, reading the candidates' statements, only one of the candidates mentions
> volunteering and really only in the context of more of it being required,
> which doesn't necessarily make sense if volunteer activities end up not being
> particularly efficient or productive. So, I wouldn't mind knowing what the
> candidates want to do about making FSFE a venue for individual Fellows to be
> able to make a difference, both in the organisation and beyond.
i would recommend to ask them directly to take part in that, either
to write more in the wiki or take part in i a discussion here as i'm
not shure if they are subscribed to this list.

> (In the context of this being an election to a board with only a couple of
> Fellows present and the remainder being appointed [3], it might be interesting
> to know what the candidates *can* do about the above. But maybe that is
> another topic.)
"appointed" is the wrong term here i think.
the GA is the general assembly of assosiation so "members of the GA"
are actually "members of the FSFE e.V.", which are apart from the
fellowship representatives permanenet members of the assosiation,
which are not "appointed", even though membership applications have
to be confirmed by the current members[0], to my knowledge all
current members have been heavily involved with our work before
becoming members themselves (apart from the founding members of the
organisation of course as a special case).

please feel free to ask as i think good communication will only
improve our work and i welcome you and any other fellows to try to
make informed discussions.

regards,
albert

ps: DISCLAIMER: i'm currently a member of the assisioation and
therefore the GA

[0] <https://fsfe.org/about/legal/constitution.en.html#id-acquisition-of-membership>