FSFE General Assembly Fellowship Representative Election

Florian Snow floriansnow at fsfe.org
Mon Apr 10 15:07:42 UTC 2017

Hi Paul,

I am happy to discuss things here with you, and I am sure other
candidates will respond as well.

As to the specific point about bringing in more participating and making
it efficient, I have to say that in my opinion, the General Assembly
(GA) has a limited effect on that.  From my experience with non-profits
under German law (e.V.) in general, as well as with the FSFE in
particular, many decisions affecting volunteer work are made outside of
GAs.

In my opinion, the most important issue in that regard is that the GA
needs to take a vote on how to make decisions within the larger FSFE
community.  Right now, a lot of decisions get stuck in discussions.  I
think discussions are important, but we need to find a clear path to
actually make a decision in the end and not just stall.  Having clear
guidelines and a clear path for volunteers to make suggestions and
reaching a decision is a very important task that the GA can take on.

Another big influence on volunteer work I see is making the GA
transparent to volunteers.  Right now, I have the impression some
volunteers do not know what happens inside the GA and feel like they do
not get very much input.  So I see my role as a communicator between the
GA and volunteers.  I want to talk to people on mailing lists, in online
chats, and in person.  That way, I can explain what goes on in the GA
and bring suggestions from volunteers to the GA.

Feel free to ask any other questions here and I will try to answer them
as soon as possible.

Happy hacking!
Florian