On receiving an interview request from Uber

Carsten Agger agger at modspil.dk
Sun Dec 18 19:12:44 UTC 2016

On 12/18/2016 08:03 PM, Charles Cossé wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 7:35 AM, mray <mail at mray.de
> <mailto:mail at mray.de>> wrote:
>

>     On 17.12.2016 18:46, Charles Cossé wrote:
>     > What would that matter?
>     >

>     The question is "why would it not matter?"
>     Free Software seems like a sensible default.
>
>     Why would I ever *prefer* trusting my body/life with software that
>     is a
>     secret to everybody but the manufacturer?
>     (Same with all kinds of transportation like cars, buses, planes,...)
>

> [...]

> Another point which I'd like to discuss is: Where does FSF draw the
> line?  Are there not some instances where not revealing everything is
> alright?  We put our faith in closed systems every day, and software
> is just one type. It seems like this same notion of freedom
> would/should apply everywhere, if it is real or universal, and not
> just to software.

[...]

The questions you ask here are very basic and can be answered by
yourself if you read the articles at

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html carefully.

E.g., nobody are "giving away their intellectual property" when
releasing free software e.g. under the GPL.  And some of the main
systems that govern your life actually *are* supposed to be transparent
- e.g.. society, where you have various FOIA acts.

Note also that this mailing list is not organized by the FSF but by the
FSFE, which is a different organization, thus questions about the FSF's
stand on different subjects can't really be answered here. But the
answers to the more basic points are at the gny.org/philosophy link.