Symfony's views on the GPL

Sam Liddicott sam at liddicott.com
Fri Sep 25 13:55:55 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 3:06 PM, Hugo Roy <hugo at fsfe.org> wrote:
> ↪ 2015-09-24 Thu 14:07, Sam Liddicott <sam at liddicott.com>:
>> >
>> > Why do you think that? Can you elaborate?
>>
>> The GPL license is a conditional permission to do something that would
>> otherwise be forbidden by copyright.
>>
>> Copyright does not prohibit such development, so no new permission is required.
>
> It depends. Copyright laws give a monopoly on certain activities
> related to a “work” (which can be e.g. a computer program or a novel).
>
> More precisely for software, the rights to reproduce, to adapt as well
> as the right to distribute forms of the software are restricted
> activities (see EU directive 91/250, article 4).

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/ALL/?uri=CELEX:32009L0024

Interesting. I'm not personally subject to EU directives.

I'm now trying to find out if any members states have implemented it yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Programs_Directive
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1992/3233/contents/made

So it seems unlikely to be prohibited yet; and in the instance under
discussion I still think that it is not prohibited by the conflict of
the two licences in question which grant freedom to use, placing
restrictions on the distribution.

Sam