Free Software "cloud computing"

Lucile Falgueyrac lucile.falg at fsfe.org
Wed Feb 12 15:07:44 UTC 2014

On 02/12/2014 03:53 PM, Vicen Rodriguez wrote:

> I think "open source cloud computing" is used, at least in most of the
> cases, as a short way to say "open source software for building private
> and public clouds". OpenStack (http://www.openstack.org/ ) is, maybe,
> the main example of that.
> Do you think there is any other meaning for that expression?

Well, I often see it in the context of pubic bodies, but it fits with
your explanation. For example:

https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/community/osor/news/improve-it-security-ep-demands-open-source

So it would mean a "private cloud" at the scale of their institutions
(European Parliament..) ? Self hosted free software cloud solutions
would be more appropriate then..

To answer my own question, I found something about standardisation:
https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/community/osor/news/etsi-open-source-clouds-worth-considering

Lucile

--
Lucile Falgueyrac - Free Software Foundation Europe
FSFE, Schönhauser Allee 6/7, 10119 Berlin
XMPP : lucile.falg at jabber.fsfe.org

Support FSFE! https://fsfe.org/