FSCONS: Free Software in Politics – You can make a difference!

Matthias Kirschner mk at fsfe.org
Tue Oct 25 09:36:11 UTC 2011

(Also announced on my blog: http://blogs.fsfe.org/mk/?p=840)

Your government doing advertisement for non-free software. Public
administrations buying non-free software without a public tender.
Children in school who just learn to use proprietary software. Since
2001 Free Software Foundation Europe is working for Free Software in the
political sphere. In our track at FSCONS we offer an insight into
present practices in the public administration throughout the world,
potentials risks for the Free Software community, and what each one of
us can do to increase software freedom.

In "Free Software in Politics" track
<http://my.fscons.org/schedule/track/fs-politics/> we have:

- Sat 10:00 – 10:45 Talk: The water in which we swim – Policy issues
  around Free Software (Karsten Gerloff)
- Sat 11:00 – 11:45 Talk: Non-free software advertisement presented by
  your government (Matthias Kirschner)
- Sat 12:00 – 12:45 Talk: Free Software in the Swedish public sector
  (Daniel Melin)
- Sat 15:15 – 16:00 Talk: “Use the edge, strong man!” – Free Software in
  the European Parliament (Erik Josefsson)
- Sat 16:15 – 17:00 Talk: Catch them early – Free Software in education
  (Guido Arnold)
- Sat 17:15 – 18:00 Workshop: Hands-on decentralization with PageKite
  (Bjarni Runar Einarsson)

Beside that on Friday we will have a full day Fellowship meeting where
we will prepare the Ilove Free Software campaign, the Document Freedom
Day, do a PDFreaders bug sprint, and have a feedback session about our
work. (See http://blogs.fsfe.org/mk/?p=836)

Looking forward to see you there,
Matthias

--
Matthias Kirschner - FSFE - Fellowship Coordinator, German Coordinator
FSFE, Linienstr. 141, 10115 Berlin, t +49-30-27595290 +49-1577-1780003