Nokia spreading FUD?

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Wed Mar 16 10:14:37 UTC 2011

Jelle Hermsen wrote:
> It's really sad what's happening with Nokia. To me it just proves the
> point that important FLOSS projects are best off being governed by an
> independent foundation.  I'm not sure what this all means to the KDE
> QT Foundation
> (http://www.kde.org/community/whatiskde/kdefreeqtfoundation.php ) [...]

I feel that FLOSS projects are best off being governed by a
contributor-led democratic association.

Foundations often either give special rights to the founders (like
Nokia's two seats on the KDE Qt Foundation), or the organisation has a
founding endowment which enables them more-or-less to ignore the
wishes of contributors if its leaders decide to do that.

Isn't democracy usually a good way of ensuring enduring freedom?

Regards,
Webmaster, Debian Developer, Past Koha RM, statistician, former lecturer.
Available for hire for various work http://www.software.coop/products/